Police Communication Training Simulator

Apex Officer's VR communication training simulator for police officers.

Police Communication Training Simulator

Developing effective police communication.

Why is Communication Training Important for police officers?

Law enforcement officers interact with the public on a daily basis as part of their normal duties. However, few officers are trained specifically to communicate effectively, especially in the most stressful of situations. Too often under stress, emotions cloud judgment and result in ineffective and sometimes damaging verbal communication. The outcome of an encounter can be altered dramatically simply by using carefully selected phrases delivered in the appropriate manner.

Experienced law enforcement officers understand that there are typically several sides to every communication – my side, your side, how I see myself, how you see yourself, how I see you, and how you see me; but it is only the last side that truly matters. As an authority figure, a police officer’s words and actions represent his community, department, and others in uniform. Very rarely will a member of the public remember the individual officer they interacted with, but they will attribute their experience, good or bad, to the officer’s department and all its associates.

What Does Apex Officer's communication skills training simulator do?

Apex Officer’s communication skills training simulator employs seemingly simple approaches to defuse potentially difficult or confrontational situations. These approaches include:

  • Developing mind/mouth harmony
  • Learning how to talk to people without involving pride and ego
  • Assisting individuals to think the way they would normally, without the interference stemming from the stress and fear of the police encounter or traumatic situation
  • And much more

Why is Apex Officer's Communication Training Simulator Effective?

Our technology focuses on teaching the police officer the essential components of effective communication and providing them with the skills, techniques, and tools to successfully communicate with the public. In any face-to-face verbal communication, the total impact of the verbal transaction can be divided as follows: content, or the message that one is trying to impart amounts to roughly 7 to 10 percent; one’s voice inflection and other characteristics of delivery is between 33 and 40 percent of the transaction; and non-verbal, actions, such as body language and facial expressions make up the remaining 50 to 60 percent of the verbal interchange. Therefore, it is truly not what you say, but how you say it.

With our software and technology, we can place officers in thousands of different situations and we monitor not only what they say, but also their non-verbal cues, tonality, eye contact, and more; meanwhile, providing analytics and data like never seen before.

Why are communication skills important for police officers?

Communication is at the heart of all positive and negative encounters.

About the Author

Alex Oliver
Customer Success

Alex Oliver is the Customer Success Manager at Apex Officer